ITSC provides basic and campus-wide IT services for all CUHK staff and students for free and such standard services are the Core IT Services. Beyond that standard provision, ITSC also provides extra, fee-charging IT Services to satisfy the extra or special needs of the departments and users. Fee-charging IT services are charged in order to cover the extra cost incurred.
This page summarizes the Core and Fee-charging IT Services provided by ITSC, and the charging principle of Fee-charging IT services.
- Core IT Services are Free
Definition of Core IT Services:
Core IT Services are defined as the basic and campus-wide IT services provided centrally to all eligible staff and/or students to facilitate their teaching, learning, research and administration activities. All CUHK staff and students, teaching and research units, administrative and servicing units are eligible to use the core IT Services for free. The Core IT services are supported by central block grant funding and appropriate overhead charges for self-financed activities are recovered.
The free Core IT services provided by ITSC are:
- Access to campus network, wired or wireless, on campus and from student hostels
- Access to the campus nework from home (VPN)
- Campus-wide E-mail for Staff and E-mail for Students
- University administration systems – Personnel, Finance, UG admission, …
- MyCUHK portal and CUSIS for teachers and students
- E-learning system for teachers and students
- Research Computing Services for UGC Programmes
- CUHK web server for hosting departmental websites
- Registration and Attendance System (Handheld machine rental is charged)
- Computers and study space in the User Area and Learning Commons
- Service desk and training
- Procurement support
- Staff and Student cards
- Campus license of popular software, e.g. Microsoft Office
- Anti-virus software and anti-spam filtering; Endpoint security solution
- Emergency support and security advice
- Fee-charging IT services
Definition of Fee-charging IT Services:
Fee-charging IT Services are defined as the extra IT services that go beyond the standard provision in terms of scope and/or quality, which are not supported by the central block grant and are therefore subject to fee charging. Subject to availability of manpower, ITSC will endeavor to provide the fee-charging services on request.
The fee charging IT services offered by ITSC are:
- IP phone and Data port
- Central Door Access Control & CCTV
- Virtual Machine hosting
- eServices - desktop management, email, firewall management, …
- Cloud applications for department - Online Payment Solution
- In-house Maintenance Service
- Media hosting
- Studio related services
- Courseware/Multimedia development
- Research computing projects
- Co-location services at Central Data Centres
- SMS messaging service
- Project Consultation/Management Service
- Web Conferencing
- The Charging Principle of Fee-charging IT Services
The charging fee of the fee-charging IT service is to recover the cost incurred in providing the service:
Service charging fee = Labour Cost + Material Cost
The labour cost is calculated based on the hourly rate of the IT staff. The direct material cost includes both hardware and software required to provide the service. Based on the notional salary of IT staff, the labour cost is calculated as follows:
Professional Service = $400/hr (2016-17), $420/hr (2017-18)
Technical Service = $260/hr (2016-17), $270/hr (2017-18)
- Discount on Direct Labour for All Block-Grant (BG) Activities
Starting from 1 October 2015, the University will offer a 50% discount on direct labour to support fee-charging IT services that are supported by BG. That is, in order to be applicable, the service must be charged against BG accounts.
- Discount is, however, NOT applicable to direct materials and equipment.
- For non-BG activities, full costs chargeback for direct labour, materials and equipment will be applicable.
- Charging Table of Fee-charging IT Services
Please refer to the following links for the 2016-17 charging and 2017-18 charging (tentative) of ITSC’s fee-charging services.
(For CUHK staff only via OnePass)
Information Technology Services Centre