CUHK VPN allows CUHK users to securely connect to the campus network even over a non-CUHK network access (e.g. home broadband service). The VPN technology encrypts the data transferred online and prevents private information from wiretap. Some CUHK websites / online resources are accessible off campus only if users have connected to a VPN connection.
Staff & students
Service Charge and Application
Free, no application required
24 X 7; except maintenance period
Installing VPN Client to Use CUHK VPN
- Protects your sensitive information transferred online
- Avoids lengthy idle time and moderate IP addresses usage
- Prevent network resource abuse by prohibiting multiple logins to CUHK VPN / ClassNet
- Unify access restriction methods on CUHK online resources. System developers therefore can restrict their resources by asking users to connect to CUHK VPN with Computing ID + OnePass (CWEM) password.
Services Require VPN Connection
- The following central IT resources or services require a campus network connection when you're outside CUHK.
- CUHK Restricted Webapge at http://www.cuhk.edu.hk
- CUPIS - CU Personnel Information System
- CUSAP Financial System
- IOPAS - Integrated Outside Practice Administration System
- SPUS - Staff Profile Update System
- SSAS - Staff Superannuation Administration System
- ITSC managed Research Computing Platforms (Newcluster, AVES, GAIA)
- Kaspersky anti-virus download center
- Exchange Email Access via Outlook for Mac
(No VPN is needed for Exchange Email Access via Outlook for Windows or mobile access to Exchange)
- RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) - policy
- SMB (Server Messgae Block) - policy
- Changing Email Alias or Email Address http://cai.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk/alias
- Access ClassNet, a wired network in CUHK classrooms
- For department IT services, please consult related departmental IT support.
Policy and Guidelines
- When using CUHK VPN service, users are subject to the following policies:
- No concurrent access to VPN is allowed regardless of the connection methods – through ClassNet, ResNet ornon-CUHK connection. This mechanism insures the fair share of network resources.
- The maximum connection duration of CUHK VPN is 8 hour. Idling for 1 hour will trigger timeout.
- There will be suspension of access to CUHK VPN / campus network if ITSC observes abnormal network traffic from your device / account.
- You may experience an unstable VPN connection from mainland China with the gradual upgrade of China's Great Firewall. Most of the University system do not require a VPN connection. You can do your email, access eLearning system, browse CUHK websites, etc through any Internet connection. Please check out services that require a VPN connection.