USB devices are commonly used in our daily life. However, many of us neglect to take important safety precautions on these devices to protect the personal and sensitive data therein.
Smart Tips for Data Protection in Storage Devices
- Take extra care when you are handling personal and sensitive data;
- Avoid storing personal and sensitive data in portable devices unless it is absolutely necessary;
- Keep the minimal quantity of data if storing into portable device is unavoidable;
- Take all necessary security measures to protect the access of the portable devices, e.g. perform data encryption and set strong password;
- Erase data and dispose storage devices securely;
- Read guidelines in securely managing mobile computing devices and removable storage media at here.
Data Encryption in USB Devices
There are many USB flash/hard drives embedded with data encryption* function available on the market. They are convenient to use and fast in encrypting/decrypting data, but comparatively expensive. An alternative is to install free data encryption software e.g. "BitLocker" on your USB device to keep data secure.
- BitLocker – It is already bundled in Windows 7 operation system. A 'Recovery Key' feature is also available in case you have forgotten the password protecting the devices. Click here for the step-by-step installation procedures.
* Encryption is a translation of data into meaningless codes using an encryption 'key'. The same 'key' must be used to decrypt the codes so that the data becomes readable again. The method could protect your data stored on USB devices in case of loss, theft or unauthorized access.
Creation Date: Jun 2012