The aim of provision of Wired Network is to facilitate and support teaching or academic activities in the University.
Wired Network is part of the Campus Network which is managed and administered by the Information Technology Services Centre (ITSC). The use of Wired Network is governed by the guidelines and policies described in - RGEN002 - Computer Network, Policies and Guidelines on Access and Usage and in this document.
This document is applicable to all wired network connections to the Campus Network via network ports in classrooms, lecture theatres, student hostels, public area and student organization rooms.
- Proper Use
- Wired Network users should ensure their computer systems are properly configured and operated so that they do not cause any inconvenience to other Wired Network users and the Campus Network users.
- Use of Wired Network for purposes other than that stated in Section 1 should be discussed with and approved by the ITSC staff.
- Use of network addresses other than those provided by ITSC is prohibited.
- Producing excessive network traffic such as broadcasting and unsolicited massive mailing is prohibited.
- Setting up routing or other special network functions is prohibited.
- Servers set up to provide ftp/web/vnc/telnet/ssh services for campus users are allowed subject to the following conditions:
- No extensive loading that affects the performance of the Campus Network, nor monopolization of the campus network resources in terms of bandwidth. Server connections that violate these conditions will be terminated without further notice.
- For the support of teaching, research and student services
- Not to harm the Campus Network. ITSC reserves the right to prohibit the running of other servers which are harmful to the network (e.g. system services such as DHCP)
- Development of networking software using Wired Network is prohibited.
- User Rights and Responsibilities
Wired Network users have the following rights and responsibilities:
- With respective to the location of computer system:
- All CUHK staff and students are eligible to connect in classrooms/lecture theatres/public area.
- CUHK students living in student hostels are eligible to connect in their hostel rooms.
- CUHK student organizations assigned student organization rooms by designated authorities (or affiliated departments/colleges) are subject to these authorities’ endorsement on using the connections in their student organization rooms .
- Wired Network users have the right to access the Campus Network and Internet, use applications including e-mail, FTP, Telnet, WWW, news and so on.
- Wired Network users are responsible for licenses of the software installed in their computer or notebook systems.
- Wired Network users are responsible for the transportation of their computers or notebooks to lecture theatres, classrooms or libraries.
- Wired Network users are responsible for any and all activities initiated from their computer or notebook systems.
- Wired Network users in classrooms/lecture theatres are responsible for support of their applications or finding computer support personnel in their departments.
- Wired Network users are responsible for the security settings of their computer or notebook systems.
- Wired Network student organization users are responsible for updating their contact persons in charge of their Wired Network with ITSC.
- With respective to the location of computer system:
- ITSC Staff Rights and Responsibilities
- ITSC staff is responsible for the design, operation and management of Wired Network, including the provision of security measures at network level.
- In the event of severe network problem which arises from the Wired Network user's computer system and causing severe damage to the University user community, ITSC staff has the right to terminate the network connection of the user's computer system without making prior notice to the user.
- ITSC staff has the responsibility to provide advance notices of Wired Network unavailability due to regular maintenance, upgrades or changes so that Wired Network users may plan for their works. However, in the event of an emergency, ITSC staff has the right to shut down the whole or partial Wired Network with little or no advance notification. Every effort will be made to give users a chance to save their work before Wired Network is taken out of service.
- In the event that a Wired Network -connected computer presents an immediate security risk to equipment, software or data in campus network, ITSC staff has the right to terminate this connection without prior notice.
- Wired Network users violating the guidelines and policies set forth in the Handbook - "The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Information Technology Services Centre, Computer Network, Policies and Guidelines on Access and Usage" will be subject to penalties as described in section 9 - "Enforcement" of the Handbook.
- Wired Network users violating the guidelines and policies set forth in this document may result in temporary or permanent loss of the access privilege to Wired Network. Offenses which are in violation of local laws usually result in immediate loss of access privilege to Wired Network, and will be reported to the appropriate University and law enforcement authorities.
User Support Division
Information Technology Services Centre
Version 2, May 2010