Office 365 is a Microsoft cloud service. It provides a group of productivity services and software for daily work. These include cloud storage, email and collaboration services.
With Office 365, all university staff will be benefited from (a) a much larger email storage (50GB), (b) a large cloud disk storage (5,120GB i.e. 5TB), and (c) easy access to information when you are on the move. The university email service will be moving to Office 365 gradually by end 2017.
For staff that are using other email services such as Gmail, O365 provides an easy way to forward the emails to the preferred email provider. All our students have already been using Office 365 since 2015. More services, such as workflows, will be introduced via Office 365 in future.
|Launching of Office 365 OneDrive and OfficePro Plus
- Launched on 12 March 2016
- Office 365 ProPlus allows staff to install Microsoft Office on up to five different computers, including home computers.
|Launching of Office 365 Mail
- Office 365 Mail, with 50GB mailbox, has been launched in phases to departments starting from Nov 2016.
- Once switched over, staff use Office 365 Mail and stop using their department mailboxes (including CUHK Webmail (Mailserv) and ITSC eServices Exchange server).
- From Nov 2016
- Coordination through Department LAN Admin / IT coordinators
- From 1 Apr 2017
- New staff using Office 365 Mail as default mail service except request for special arrangement.
- From late Apr 2017 (tentative)
- Staff Self-registration for the switch over
|Retirement of CUHK Webmail (Mailserv) System Mailbox
As noted on 20 Jan IT Governance Committee meeting, the CUHK Webmail (Mailserv) system will be retired on 31 Dec 2017.
- From 1 Jul 2017
- No new mails sending to mailserv mailboxes
- Until 31 Dec 2017
- Users can read old mails at mailserv mailboxes
- Users shall backup old mails at mailserv mailboxes before its retirement
- From 1 Jan 2018
- User’s mailserv email addresses remain valid and will be forwarded to Office 365 Mail
- webmail.cuhk.edu.hk will be redirected to Office 365
System Impact (for IT Staff)
- From 1 Jan 2018
Mailserv still acts as an unauthenticated smtp server within campus network
smtp mail function keeps running
|Termination of IronPort Campus License
IronPort is being used for CUHK Webmail (mailserv) protection to filter viruses, spam, malware and etc. In switching to Office 365 Mail, Exchange Online Protection (EOP) will be used for mail protection. Its functionality is similar to IronPort.
ITSC will terminate the renewal of IronPort Campus License (both hardware and software) once it ends on 31 Dec 2017. Department would therefore need to budget and renew their IronPort license when required.