|Office 365 for Staff
|Go Live Date
The service has been introduced gradually to staff users starting from Apr 2016
Office 365 is a Microsoft cloud service. It provides a group of productivity services and software for daily work. These include cloud storage, email and collaboration services.
With Office 365, all university staff will be benefited from (a) a much larger email storage (50GB), (b) a large cloud disk storage (5,120GB i.e. 5TB), and (c) easy access to information when you are on the move. The university email service will be moving to Office 365 gradually by end 2017.
For staff that are using other email services such as Gmail, O365 provides an easy way to forward the emails to the preferred email provider. All our students have already been using Office 365 since 2015. More services, such as workflows, will be introduced via Office 365 in future.
|Serving User Groups
|| Office 365 ProPlus , Office 365 Mail
|Launching of Office 365 OneDrive and OfficePro Plus
- Launched on 12 March 2016
- Office 365 ProPlus allows staff to install Microsoft Office on up to five different computers, including home computers.
|Launching of Office 365 Mail
- Office 365 Mail, with 50GB mailbox, has been launched in phases to departments starting from Nov 2016.
- Once switched over, staff use Office 365 Mail and stop using their department mailboxes (including CUHK Webmail (Mailserv) and ITSC eServices Exchange server).
- From Nov 2016
- Coordination through Department LAN Admin / IT coordinators
- From 1 Apr 2017
- New staff using Office 365 Mail as default mail service except request for special arrangement.
- From 16 Apr 2017 (tentative)
- Staff Self-registration for the switch over
|Retirement of CUHK Webmail (Mailserv) System Mailbox
As noted on 20 Jan IT Governance Committee meeting, the CUHK Webmail (Mailserv) system will be retired on 31 Dec 2017.
- From 1 Jul 2017
- No new mails sending to mailserv mailboxes
- Until 31 Dec 2017
- Users can read old mails at mailserv mailboxes
- Users shall backup old mails at mailserv mailboxes before its retirement
- From 1 Jan 2018
- User’s mailserv email addresses remain valid and will be forwarded to Office 365 Mail
- webmail.cuhk.edu.hk will be redirected to Office 365
System Impact (for IT Staff)
- From 1 Jan 2018
Mailserv still acts as an unauthenticated smtp server within campus network
smtp mail function keeps running
|Termination of IronPort Campus License
IronPort is being used for CUHK Webmail (mailserv) protection to filter viruses, spam, mailware and etc. In switching to Office 365 Mail, Exchange Online Protection (EOP) will be used for mail protection. Its functionarlity is similar to IronPort.
ITSC will terminate the renewal of IronPort Campus License (both hardware and software) once it ends on 31 Dec 2017. Department would therefore need to budget and renew their IronPort license when required.
Nov 2016 - Feb 2017
- Switch over to Office 365 Mail in departments/units
- Trial use of Office 365 Mail by LAN Admin
- Pilot Use of Office 365 ProPlus and OneDrive for Business by Departmental IT Staff
- Staff account and profile creation
- Preparing for launching
- Communicate with department heads
- Coordinate with IT coordinators in collecting staff’ information for Office 365 user profile
Or, Check out FAQs of Office 365 for Staff.