Departmental users, including colleges, faculties and departments, are welcome to join this service to give Wi-Fi coverage in their own areas designated. In this way, departmental users can make Wi-Fi available at their laboratories, common areas and meeting rooms, for the convenience of their own staff, students and guests.
Check Central Wi-Fi service in public areas on campus.
Service Charge and Application
Charged; application required, please write to ITSC Service Desk
24 X 7; except maintenance period
The key features of the service include:
- The locations, coverage, traffic capacity are all customizable to suit your needs. Both the budget and desired functionality will match.
- ITSC will help dealing with the vendor of the hardware, giving professional advice.
- ITSC provides technical support upon installation. Change of settings and management of the system will not be a burden.
- The interface and settings can be perfectly compatible with the existing WiFi network in other locations of CUHK. The ease of use by students and staff is maximized.
Role of ITSC
ITSC plays different roles in different stages of the service.
- When planning the service, ITSC acts as an experienced professional consultant. ITSC gives help estimate the coverage, serving population and budget according to your demands.
- When dealing with the vendor, ITSC helps contact the vendor, give suggestions on the purchase and quotations
- Upon installation, ITSC provides technical support, helps configure the network and firewall settings.
Cost for joining Central WiFi Service
Much of the operating cost is minimized since technical support will be provided by ITSC. However, the cost for the hardware and installation varies with the following:
- equipment selected
- number of users estimated
- areas of coverage preferred
AirPlay and Central Wi-Fi Service
CUHK Central WiFi service supports AirPlay. With appropriate devices and set-up, AirPlay can be used over CUHK Central WiFi via the following SSIDs:
Students and staff can now enjoy this wireless projection function in YIA Lecture Theatres 1 – 9 with the Apple TV installed by AVSU.
ITSC will work with other departments to support AirPlay in other places on campus which have the coverage of Central WiFi service. If your departments hope to implement the technology in your meeting or conference rooms, please contact ITSC for the feasibility study and assistance on the one-off set-up.
End of Support product should not be connected to the Central WiFi Service. Details