Departments/Units/Colleges can subscribe a Special Virtual Machine (SVM) hosting service for hosting their website, application or server in ITSC.
A Virtual Machine (VM) is a software implementation of a machine that executes programs like a physical machine. This VM platform (supported by VMware ESXi 5.5 at CheckPoint Virtual Edition), is a type of Cloud IT service which offers a VM with firewall protection, in monthly subscription basis, to provide flexibility for departments / units /colleges to acquire their own virtual machines instantly and to eliminate long acquisition process for physical machine.
This special VM platform enables a more convenient and timesaving departmental system management. You can apply for a VM and modify the firewall rules at https://paper.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk/dvp.
24 X 7
- Five SVM packages, protected under a firewall, are available
VM Scale Package Name Configuration Details Small Model S (2 CPU core, 2GB RAM, 100GB disk) Medium Model M (4 CPU core, 4GB RAM, 100GB disk) Large Model L (8CPU core, 8GB RAM, 100GB disk) Extra Large Model XL (8CPU core, 16GB RAM, 100GB disk) 2 Extra Large Model XXL (16 CPU core, 32GB RAM, 100BG disk)
- All include a 100GB disk size
- Additional Disk Storage can be offered in 100GB based (100GB, 200GB, 300GB, etc.). In the Extra Large package and 2 Extra Large VM package, additional RAM can also be offered in 16GB based with maximum up to 64GB (16GB, 32GB, 48GB and 64GB).
- Six OS packages are available to be pre-installed including
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012, Standard Edition (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2, Standard Edition (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Enterprise Edition (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Standard Edition (64-bit)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (64-bit)
- CentOS 6 (64-bit)
- CentOS 7 (64-bit)
- Other (no OS pre-installed)
- Regarding the network services allowed in firewall,
- Central Backup Service for SVM
- A simple and easy to use solution with everything operate via a web interface.
- When the service is enabled on a SVM, it provides
- SVM Daily Backup service
- Self-service file level restore
- Self-service backup status reports
- On-demand full VM recovery
- Visit its service page for its servcie charge and other details.