Effective from May 2016
|Category||Recommended Software Standard||Acceptable Software||Software under consideration|
|1. Operating System||Windows 10 Enterprise Edition 32-bit (or 64-bit) Multilingual User Interface with Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese||Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition 32-bit (or 64-bit) Multilingual User Interface with Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese or Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 32-bit Service Pack 1 with Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese Multilingual User Interface||--|
|2. Office Suite||Office 2016 Professional Plus 32-bit (or 64 bit) Edition Multilingual User Interface with Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese||Office 2013 Professional Plus 32-bit Edition Server Pack 1 Multilingual User Interface with Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese or Office 2010 Professional Plus 32-bit Service Pack 2 (i.e. Version 14.0.7015.1000 or greater) with Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese Language Pack||--|
|3. Document Exchange||Acrobat XI Pro with extended Language, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese font pack||--||--|
|4. E-mail||Outlook 2016||Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010||--|
|5. Scheduling||Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2016||Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013
Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2010
|6. Web Browser||Microsoft Edge with CUHK Root CA Certificate Internet Explorer 11 with CUHK Root CA Certificate Chrome||Internet Explorer 11 with CUHK Root CA Certificate and HK Post Root CA Certificate for Windows 7||--|
|7. Web Browser add-on||Windows Media Player 12, Adobe Flash Player 20, Shockwave Player 12, VLC media player 2.2.3||--||--|
|8. Anti-virus||Kaspersky Total Security for Business||--||--|
|9. File Compression||WinRAR 5.3 [NB: ZIP file format is still recommended]||--||--|
|10. Anti-spyware||Windows Defender (Pre-installed service with Windows 10)||Windows Defender (Pre-installed service with Windows 7 and 8.1)||--|
|11. Secured Shell||PuTTY 0.67, WinSCP 5.7.7||--||--|
|12. LAN Client Service||--||Novell client 2 SP3 for Windows 7||--|
|13. Data Encryption for USB removable storage devices; and full-disk encryption for laptops||McAfee End Point Security Solution for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.||--||--|
Remark: Item 11 – 13 are required only for users who need to use the software.
Notes on the selection of University Software Standards:
- For all software
- Both Chinese and English versions are recommended depending on the actual needs of the departments/units.
- Departments/Units are recommended to watch out for the securities patches/software updates provided by the vendors and install the critical patches when necessary. ITSC will also notify departmental LAN administrators about the critical updates of various software.
- For Electronic Filing – To read PDF documents, departments/units are recommended to install the latest Adobe Reader which can be downloaded from Adobe website. Users need to create PDF document could purchase Acrobat XI Pro through ITSC.
- For Chinese Character Set – ITSC is implementing a Supplementary Chinese Character Set for the University so that our specially created Chinese characters would be displayed correctly.
- For the software compatibility with the following campus wide applications, please refer to Tips and Getting Started guide at: