The Administrative Affairs Committee (AAC) and Administrative and Planning Committee (AAPC) have endorsed the centralization and consolidation of voice network and data network infrastructure behind the wall. The new telephone system is built on top of the existing campus network infrastructure that connects all computers on campus. Better integration and better economy of scale could then be achieved.
The implementation of the new telephone system is being carried out in phases by ITSC in collaboration with CDO, EMO and Bursary.
Service Charge and Application
Hotline: 3943 8877 (Office hours)
Features & Benefits
IP Phone and Data Port Services allow the University to consolidate the voice network and data network, thus better sharing and less wastage of resources can be achieved. As "One calling system, one network infrastructure" will be adopted, departments no longer need to build and maintain their own departmental networks behind the wall. They would have more time to concentrate on core business. With the new telephone system, you will enjoy the following features:
- Know the callers as the names (if available) and numbers of the callers would be displayed;
- Access to the University IP Phone Directory and search for extensions by either last name or first name;
- Create up to 500 entries in your Personal Address Book and dial from the address book with ease;
- Enhance conference calls with up to 7 other parties; and
- Direct click to dial from corporate address book on the phone.
In addition, you will enjoy the following new features and benefits which will be introduced one by one:
- New telephone/extension numbers available for your new requirements;
- Access voicemail with your email software;
- Enjoy making cheaper international calls. This helps save your operating cost especially if you need to frequently contact Shenzhen Research Institute where IP Phone will be deployed;
- Enjoy IP-based fax services ( send, distribute and receive faxes through PCs) which is convenient, green and cost saving; or subscribe cheaper fax line for fax machine;
- Continue communicating with your colleagues or users using your own extension when you are off campus or out of the town through a SoftPhone which is a software phone to be installed on your PCs;
- Calling to you will ring your desk phone and your mobile phone simultaneously to reduce the number of missed calls through the SIM-Ring feature; and
- Install Cisco Mobile app on your Apple iPhone (if applicable) and enjoy same IP Phone features as at office whenever you have access to a wireless network connection.
After your IP Phone installation, you should,
- Test your phone set by making a first incoming and outgoing call.
- Understand the basic use of voicemail system and corresponding account. For example, if your phone number is 3943 8877, your voicemail account is 38877 and your voicemail password is 112233 by default. You should change the default password through your phone set. Read Voicemail Quick Start Guide for details.
- Understand key features of IP Phone, like the call forward and call transfer functions. Refer to Tab 3: User Guides below for use details.
- Change the web Unified CM User Options system password at https://callmanager.cuhk.edu.hk/ccmuser.
This system allows you to program speed dial, manage personal phone book, etc. By default, your username is "E" + last five digits of your phone number and password is 112233. For example, the username of number 3943 8877 is E38877 and its initial password is 112233.
User Guides for IP Phone
|Cisco Unified CM User Options Web System
||Login Unified CM User Options web system at https://callmanager.cuhk.edu.hk/ccmuser to
Please refer to its user guide for the instructions details.
|IP Phone Voicemail System||
This 1-page Quick Start Guide provides you with instructions how to use the voicemail system to
Note: This feature is only available for individual line holders and optional for hotlines.
|IP Phone 6901 Model
||The 6901model is similar to traditional analog phone. It is suitable for users who need door phone and lobby phone services.
| IP Phone 6921 Model
||The 6921 model is cost-effective and very popular for general users. It provides an easy solution for sharing the same LAN connection between phone service and data network.|
|IP Phone 7821 Model
||The 7821 model features a high-resolution 3.5” greyscale display with white backlighting for easy reading. It embeds a 100 Mbps network port for data connection and supports up to 2 lines.
|IP Phone 7841 Model
The 7841 model features a high-resolution 3.5” greyscale display with white backlighting for easy reading. It embeds a 1Gbps network port for data connection and supports up to 4 lines.
| IP Phone 7942G Model
|| The 7942G model has a high resolution grayscale display for an easy access to various features and a 100 Mbps network port for data connection. It also supports up to 2 lines and is suitable for boss and secretary use.
IP Phone 7945G Model
|The 7945G model has a high resolution colour display for an easy access to various features and a 1Gbps network port for data connection. It also supports up to 2 lines and is suitable for boss and secretary use.|
| IP Phone 7975G Model
||The 7975G model has a high resolution colour touch screen for an easy access to various features, and a 1 Gbps network port for data connection. It supports up to 8 lines and is suitable for hotline or counter service.|
Cisco 8831 IP Voice Conference Phone
The Cisco 8831 IP Voice Conference Phone has an additional wired microphone kit containing 2 sets of microphones, which is the ideal solution for rectangle conference rooms.